Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Something isn't Right....again...

Three days after our blissful Christmas surprise, I miscarried while at work. THANK GOD it was over the holiday break so I was the only one in the building at the time and made a nice exit (stage left). Now, when we miscarried the first time, we really believed it was a fluke. We had gotten to the point where we really believed we just had "bad luck". Also, I had several other friends tell me that either they themselves or one of their friends had had a miscarriage. They came out of the woodwork. Now the second miscarriage was a blow to our hearts....but we were thankful it was really early on. I made an appointment with my OB/GYN at the time and wanted her to get a reading on my hormones. I had that Spidey sense tingling that something was "Off". She reluctantly agreed and ran a few blood tests. She also lied to me and told me she ran a panel for blood clotting disorders at the time....later to find out she didn't. I suggested that maybe I should see a Reproductive Endocrinologist. She brushed me off quickly and said that it wasn't necessary at that point in time. I just had "bad luck". She also referred to me as a "Holiday Nightmare". Sensitive I know. I had lost a baby at both Christmas and Easter while at her office.

We accepted what the Dr. had shared and Wha La....pregnant again. This time I was monitored more closely and had weekly ultrasounds. Granted the ultrasound technicians liked to throw in their two cents with comments like, "Why does she even have you coming in here this early.....". Oh....my mistake....I didn't realize that you had an MD. My third pregnancy started out cautiously slow. Slow growth....heartbeat....but a slow heartbeat. It didn't look good, but my baby held on. By 10.5 weeks, my babies heart had stopped. Now I was REALLY upset. SERIOUSLY....This is TWO losses in a row with a total of THREE. I ended up having a D&C and the baby ended up having Trisomy 2 (three copies of the second chromosome....which is a rather large chromosome...so it is VERY rare). My OB/GYN finally agreed to send me to the Reproductive Endocrinologist but told me that he was going to have a bad attitude. I don't care what kind of attitude they have....I care that they know what they are DOING. I also met with a genetic counselor who reviewed all of my medical history plus my family background and Kevin's background. We both had our Chromosomes tested to make sure we didn't have any balanced translocations (pieces of your chromosomes can pull a switcharoo with one another). We both checked out. She concluded that we had a streak of bad luck and that we should be successful in the future. The Reproductive Endocrinologist re-stated that Trisomy 2 is SO rare that it would be nearly impossible for it to happen again. He literally said, "You are young and health....you just have had a streak of bad luck". Apart from checking my thyroid levels and doing a DNA test for being a carrier of cystic fibrosis....we were sent on our way.

Reassured that we had simply won the worst lottery ever...we plodded ahead with a new Doctor after I couldn't go back to being termed, "The Holiday Nightmare".

No comments:

Post a Comment