Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Body Behaving Badly

After I had had Elizabeth I did become really ill for about 6 months. I was exhausted and very weak. I had gained 35lbs with my pregnancy, yet dropped 50 without trying. I eventually went to my Dr's office to pinpoint what was going on with me. After tests revealed elevated Liver Enzymes and a Positive ANA test. I remember being at BJ's Wholesale and getting a call from the nurse. She exclaimed that the tests that were elevated in my blood work were associated with a high intake of Tylenol and alcohol. SERIOUSLY? I kindly explained to her that due to the fact that I was pregnant for 9 months, and had been nursing for the past 6 months, I had refrained from ANY alcohol, and had taken MAYBE the equivalent to ONE Tylenol.  I was referred to a Rheumatologist. The first of 3. Upon entering his office, I felt like I was in an episode of the drama "House". He asked me if I was a recreational drug user and whether or not I drank heavily. When I explained the same thing I explained to my primary care's nurse, he gave me a look and commented on how not everybody is willing to be 100% truthful. WHAT?! He also went on to explain how first time mothers are not use to being "tired". UMMMM......Tired doesn't begin to explain the situation. I SLEEP....A LOT. Kevin did a LOT of work caring for Elizabeth when I could barely lift a glass of water. 23 viles of blood later, he thought that maybe I had fibromyalgia (ummmm....except I didn't have any of the necessary pressure points needed for proper diagnosis). His solution was to put me on amphetamines. He explained how the worked well for night shift workers. I swear you can't make this stuff up. He wanted to put me on SPEED. I was wired on COFFEE....let alone SPEED! I kindly declined and told him I would "give it some more time". Rumors spread around work that I had an eating disorder and I was asked frequently if I was "OK". My friend's husbands commented that I was "Too Skinny".  I did eventually recover and started to feel much better.

After I had Alison, I had SO much energy it solidified the fact that the first Rheumatologist I saw was a QUACK. How could I have TWO children and be SO AWAKE!

No comments:

Post a Comment